Sunday, June 29, 2014

Adventures in Ambridge

It is the function of art to renew our perception. What we are familiar with we cease to see. The writer shakes up the familiar scene, and, as if by magic, we see a new meaning in it. - Anais Nin

I'm back! And writing again, from a new place, with new people, in a new phase of life. Just sitting here in front of my blank computer screen, with my fingers sitting on this familiar, well loved, and dusty keyboard, sets my mind as well as my heart at ease. A year ago today, I would still have been walking the dusty streets of Chinandega- loving, learning, and growing infinitely with every experience. Writing keeps me thinking and processing, steady in the midst of all the change and unfamiliar that my life seems to consistently throw my way. Over and over again my life always proves to be a constant expression of the Lord's creativity in me. I am an artist, and I live in the medium of expression. So I create, and I do write.
A lot of things have changed since June 2013, but the Lord's goodness and unfailing presence in my life is not one of them. So after much encouragement from friends and family, and nagging from somewhat of my own self introspection- I am writing again. 
I want to shake up this familiar scene of first world life. I want to see new meaning in it that I know is predestined to be there. This particular summer is not a mission trip, a thrilling life journey, or another third world adventure. Seemingly mundane in fact, this summer consists of living and working in Ambridge, Pennsylvania (where I believe the Lord has called me for the summer) and leaving behind once again, the beloved and beautiful coast of Charleston, South Carolina. Ambridge is a small distressed steel-town with more character and overcast weather than even Nicaragua in rainy season (which would be the season they are in right now if I remember correctly). 
The question of the summer has been "Why Ambridge? Why on earth would you leave the beautiful southern coast to come to a place like this?" And my answer is simple: Where He goes, I go. Where He stays, I stay. And when He says step out on the water, and they say it can't be done, I will fix my eyes on Him and I will come. So that is my summer story- stepping out onto the waves of industrial Ambridge, and looking for Jesus. Looking for Him, with full and trusted expectancy to find Him.

So heres to new adventures, even domestic ones, and a continuation of my stories walking on this crazy water.

No comments:

Post a Comment