Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Lost?


We had our first mission group come in two weeks ago! It was like my birthday, Christmas, and everything good all at once as soon as I saw those familiar (and unfamiliar) American faces coming towards me at the airport. It was wonderful being able to speak English, relate to people, form relationships, and share what I’d been learning with them. Translating was also a huge blessing, being able to see how far I’d come since I had arrived 2 short months earlier. I feel like just in the team being here, with their presence and their encouragement I was able to understand, apply, and live out everything I had been learning and everything the Lord had been working in me- how he had been changing me. And that was really cool to see. Before the team had arrived I had felt lost and unsure- and there are definitely still times, many times, when I feel this way- but a new friend recently reminded me of something that was said towards the end of the trip that stuck with her that shed some needed light into my confusion. It was when the team was headed to the beach, for a free day after our week of ministry, and after driving a ways in the direction of our desired destination and some obvious confusion from the drivers seat, the van pulled over on the side of the road. “Are we lost?” a van passenger asked from the back seat, and the response was this, “No we’re not lost, we just don’t know where we are going.” And that made me think. Of course we are not lost. We are in the hands of an all-knowing God, always, even when we may not know where we are going. But we can know in the midst of unknowing, of trials, and confusion- we are exactly where we are supposed to be; we are walking with the Lord. And oh what a beautiful walk it is.
Being uncomfortable makes you stronger in a way, it makes you grow. And being here, alone, performing in dramas in another language in front of huge groups of people, rapping Spanish songs, sharing my testimony literally every where, finding out I’m the guest speaker at an assembly only right as I walk through the door and find an applauding audience waiting for me, being uncomfortable in one situation after another, after another, after another... It’s hard, and it’s breaking me down, letting a very authentic and very raw version of myself surface. And this is very strategic on God’s part I’m sure I’m growing. And the Lord, in leading me into this brokenness, is making me new and growing me into someone new- and in being beautifully broken, I feel stronger every day. I read the story recently of the woman pouring her perfume on Jesus’ head in Mark 14- and the beauty that this story holds continues to blow me away the more and more I read it. One of the things I love about Mark’s account of the event is that he specifies that the woman had to break the jar before she could anoint Jesus, and the sweet aroma of the nard perfume could fill the room. This perfume, called nard, is a very expensive, very valuable possession, probably the most valuable thing this woman owned, and its aroma was said to relieve grieves and pains of the past, and ease the transition from life to death. This woman would not have been able to perform this beautiful act if the vessel had not first been broken. I think only in becoming completely broken, can the Lord fill you, infiltrating every part of your heart, and heal wounds and pains of the past, making you new. And I think that is a huge reason why I am here, and what the Lord is doing in my being here. Being in trying, uncomfortable situations day after day is in many ways bringing out the worst in me, breaking me in order to heal and grow me in all the ways he has planned to. He leads me into situations that test me, that make me better. It’s hard and sometimes confusing, but a beautiful thing, and always a complete surprise. Living down here, in the confusion, in the beauty, in the chaos, I am comforted with the promise that in all of this I’m being made new- I am being broken. And I am certainly not lost; I am walking with the Father, into the unfathomable and great adventure He has laid before me.



1 comment:

  1. Drew thought it would be really great if I could offer you some words of encouragement, since I lived in Ukraine for 27 months with Peace Corps.

    I completely identify with everything that you have described in your blog post. The initial excitement, then the loneliness, sense of being lost and even the questioning on the actual impact that you are having on people.

    My best advice though is to remain hopeful and to use this as a learning experience. My service broke me innumerable times (it was even worse on holidays), but I felt like God and Christ were using this to teach me about my-self and to help me prioritize things in life. It was my fundamental belief that what I was experiencing had a purpose that got me through day by day. It didn't make it go by easier, but it motivated me to keep pushing on (after-all my family motto is "Hold Fast").

    Further, I tend to see this kind of service/sacrifice (if used the right way) creates a prophetic experience.

    When I returned and started running with Drew, my new life group was talking about Daniel and the Babylonian Captivity and it made me realize that the vast majority of the biblical prophets and Jesus himself, lived in exhile for a period of time. Now granted, each had different accounts (Daniel in a different culture and Jesus in the desert), but all were definitive moments that defined their faith and relationship with God and his people. They all took these as learning experiences, which equipped them to be not only better teachers, but also leaders because they came to realize the nature of brokeness and the importance of putting Jesus and God at the center of your existance (the filling in a pie, instead of the hole in a donught).

    Life is about the journey, not the destination. Faith is the same. The end goal is salvation, but struggling and having formative experiences builds a closer relationship with God and his people, aka your faith journey. If there wasn't any struggle, would your faith be as strong or would you have as great an understanding about God as you would other wise. I believe not.

    Take care and hold fast Hannah

    David

    ReplyDelete